Saturday, July 14, 2012

Grilled Mexican Corn

Well this is my version of Mexican corn.  I'm allergic to mayo so the basic recipe for Mexican corn is totally out of the question for me.  And if I haven't admitted it before, I am a cheesaholic and I totally love Cotija cheese. The cheese is slightly salty which works great with vegetables.



Grilled Mexican Corn

2 ears of corn on the cob, shucked
butter, softened
cayenne
paprika
Cotija cheese

Rub butter over ears of corn.  Sprinkle spices on top, roll to coat all sides.  I used a lot more paprika than cayenne.  Wrap in foil and cook on indirect heat on the grill.  When done, open package and sprinkle 1/4 cup Cotija cheese on top.  Leave on grill another couple minutes.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe! My daughter's allergic to mayo too (because of the eggs). I recently bought some vegenaise and it's really good. Similar taste and I couldn't believe how much she liked it. I wrote a post about it in case you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am interested. It's funny that I'm not allergic to all eggs. I use them all the time and can eat them in omelets, etc. I can have Miracle Whip. It's just plain mayo that starts my throat itching. Thank you!

      LOL I zapped my comment because I forgot to say thank you.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of butter the cheese. Great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're allergic to mayo? I've never heard that. Are you allergic to vinegar or lemon since it's not the egg? Anyhow, your corn looks amazing, mayo or no. The cheese works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lemon all the time. I've used vinegar in bbq sauces and I don't have a problem with that. It's just the combination that makes my throat itch.

      Delete
  4. This looks absolutely amazing. I'm also allergic to mayo. Makes me violently ill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep seeing recipes for this!! Ah I have to make it now this looks absolutely mouthwatering :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is nostalgia for me! Growing up, and being half Mexican myself, I always waved down the elote man! Some sold them with parm too but yea, cojita all the way! Have you considered Veganaise for your mayo allergy? I use it and it tastes like mayo! I buy the blue label one since it is the healthiest. No eggs in it.

    ReplyDelete