Saturday, July 7, 2012

Brownie Ice Cream

A few weeks ago I was wondering what I should try to make next with my ice cream maker.  I almost went for a raspberry (with Chambord) ice cream...that will be next.  Today I was drawn towards a chocolate and vanilla mix.



Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

3 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise and the seeds scraped out


In a large saucepan, combine heavy cream, sugar and the vanilla bean seeds and heat to a simmer.

Lightly beat egg yolks, gradually temper with cream mixture and then add into saucepan. Heat until thickened, stirring frequently.

Cool mixture and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight
Pour into ice cream maker and run per manufacturer's directions.


Brownies

1 stick of butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Melt the butter in a large saucepan.  Allow to cool and then add in sugar and beat well.  Add in eggs and vanilla.  Stir in dry ingredients and then pour into a greased 9 x 9 sqare or round cake pan. 

Bake for 25 minutes at 350°.  Do not overbake.

When ice cream is done in the maker, put into a freezable container.  Put half in and then a quarter of the brownies and mix.  Place the rest of ice cream in and another half of the brownies and mix slightly.  Freeze until hard.

You will have half the brownies leftover but I'm sure you can find a good home for them.  I think my hips are going to claim mine.

6 comments:

  1. I just love ice-cream... I think it's time for me to invest into an ice-cream maker. This recipe looks incredibly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! You'll love it. I have a Cuisinart ICE-30BC and it's wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Brownies mixed in...I like it! My ice cream maker thinks this is an excellent idea too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I debated about adding in frosting on them too...I didn't but if you want a little extra chocolate buzz...

      Have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  3. You know it's been about 100 degrees of where I'm at right now, I would need some ice cream to cool down my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I usually don't like "stuff" in my ice cream but I'll make an exception for this. :)

    ReplyDelete