Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Italian Herb Bread

Along with my Tuscan Sausage Soup, I made this Italian Herb Bread.  I love the smell of bread baking.  The smell alone warms the house on a cold day.  The only problem I have is waiting for a few minutes before slicing into it so I can watch butter melt into the bread and enjoy the flavors.






Italian Herb Bread

2 cups bread flour

1 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp bread machine active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar

1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp extra light virgin olive oil


1 large egg slightly beaten
1 tbsp water

1 tsp Italian seasonings, crushed
Combine warm water, brown sugar and yeast in a large measuring cup and allow to sit for 10 minutes.  White you're waiting for the yeast to bloom, put the  flour, salt, garlic powder and olive oil in bread machine and set to dough setting.

When done, remove from machine and put on a baking stone that has a thin coating of corn meal.  Cut an inch deep down the length of the dough with a sharp knife.  Let rise for about a half hour in a warm area.

Brush top of bread with the mixture of 1 beaten egg, 1 tbsp water and Italian seasonings.  Bake until a golden brown.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F

4 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic, I haven't made any bread in awhile so this definitely inspires me to do so! Thanks for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fresh bread. The best thing in that yhr whole kitchen smells like a bakery. Awesome idea to put italian seasoing in it. I have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete