Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cinnamon Apple Muffins

Sunday morning arrives and I have no idea what to make for breakfast.  I have no bread in the house because I know I can make better than any bread from the grocery store and cheaper too.  I might make some later to go along with a soup that I'm planning on making in the crock pot but that didn't help me out now.  I did have a single apple in the crisper and one container of Greek yogurt that has an approaching expiration date...the combination screamed out muffins.





Cinnamon Apple Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
6 oz Greek yogurt
1 large egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup apple, diced
cinnamon & sugar for topping

Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and whisk lightly.  In a small bowl, stir yogurt, egg and buttermilk until blended.  Gently fold in wet ingredients into flour mixture.  Add in apples last.  Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full.  Bake for 15 minutes at 350°, remove from oven and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Return to oven for another 7 minutes.

I always have cinnamon sugar on hand.  It comes in handy for baking or just on buttered toast.

Cinnamon Sugar

1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon

No comments:

Post a Comment