Friday, August 17, 2012

Cabbage Rolls

This is another food that I never had until one trip to Toronto.  I loved it at first taste.  It's a little time consuming to make but I cooked it in the crock pot...still not sure it's a real favorable aroma to have circulating throughout the house all day long so making it on a day that I could have the windows open was a good idea for me.  I read lots of ways to freeze cabbage to make it more pliable.  What I never read was when thawing, place in a bowl in your refrigerator to prevent it from making a mess.  Live and learn.  







Cabbage Rolls

Rice ~

1 cup water
1/2 cup rice

Bring water to a boil and add rice in and stir.  Cover and reduce heat to low for 20 minutes.  

Stuffing ~

Brown 1 pound ground beef with 1/4 cup onions and 1 clove of garlic diced.  Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.  When done, add into cooked rice, add in one large egg and 1/2 cup beef broth.  Stir and set aside.  

Put a leaf in a soup bowl.  Grab an old fashioned ice cream scoop and one scoop should be the perfect amount of stuffing.  Fold in sides and roll up from bottom into a little packet.  Put seam down in your crock pot.  Repeat 11 more times.  

Pour 8 ounces of tomato sauce and 1 cup of V8 juice on top and cover.  Sprinkle paprika on top.  Cook on high for 1 hour and low for 5 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment