Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cevapecici/Cevaps and Cheese Burek

I decided to have a taste of Toronto for my dinner tonight.  It's not really a Toronto only meal, it's just where I was introduced to it. 



Cevapeici/Cevaps

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1  pound ground veal or lamb
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup onion finely chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp Vegeta
1 tsp baking soda

Mix all the ingredients together.  Roll meat into 3/4 inch rolls and approximately 4" long.

Broil or fry links.


Cheese Burek

1 package phyllo pastry sheets defrosted according to package directions
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
1 large egg slightly beaten
1 tsp parsley
6 tbsp butter, melted

Mix together ricotta, cottage cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, egg and parsley together in a small bowl.

Melt butter in a small bowl for brushing on phyllo dough.

Take 2 sheets of phyllo, fold in half and brush with butter.  Put a scoop of cheese mixture at one end and fold in triangles up the length of the phyllo sheet.

Place packets on a parchment lined baking sheet and brush outside with butter.

Servings: 9

Bake for 30 minutes at 325°F

6 comments:

  1. I saw this a few days ago and wanted to try this. I love the cheese burek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've tried quite a few different cheese combinations when making these and this one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never had these before, but they look and sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't tried them either until my first trip to Toronto and loved them immediately.

      Delete
  4. :)) this got my attention. Traditional meals in my country. Cevapcici look great..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you being able to have them often :-)

      Delete