Monday, March 25, 2013

Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Looking through my refrigerator and figuring out what to create from the ingredients that I find.  I'm starting to shop and use up ingredients that will spoil.  It seems again this year that a flood is going to happen once the temperatures rise.  Oh joy - the sound of CNN and other news stations helicopters filling the air drowning out those of the birds.  So I had bought a 22 oz cottage cheese (which I do love) and now I want to find other ways to eat it than with some fruit.  These pancakes the perfect way and I've discovered that separating the eggs and beating the whites until fluffy make the pancakes so much lighter which I was worried about when using the heavy cottage cheese.



Cottage Cheese Pancakes

3 eggs, separated
1 pinch Cream of Tartar
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk

Separate the eggs putting the whites in a small bowl that you can fit your mixer blades in.   In a larger bowl, place the egg yolks.  Whip the egg whites until fluffy and add a pinch of Cream of Tartar and give another quick whip.  In the larger bowl, combine egg yolks, cottage cheese, milk and vanilla.  Add the dry ingredients in.  When all combined, gently fold in the egg whites.  Let sit 5 minutes before cooking on a griddle.  When the pancakes are bubbling on the first side, flip and finish cooking.  Serve with your favorite syrup.

1 comment: