Monday, March 11, 2013

Mexican Pie

I admit I've never tried my hand at making a pie crust.  I only eat pie crusts with savory filling and sweet ones normally get left on my plate.  I'm certain I could do it since I've made other crusts and they have turned out well, it's just a matter of time management.  This recipe uses two of my previous recipes ~ refried (healthy) beans in the crock pot and my salt-free taco seasoning mix.









Mexican Pie

1 baked pie crust (homemade or dough/frozen)
1 cup refried beans
1 # extra lean ground beef
1/4 cup onions, diced
2 tbsp taco seasoning mix
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Tomatoes, Lettuce, Sour Cream or any other of your favorite toppings

Place refried beans at the bottom of your baked pie crust.  Cook ground beef with onions, adding in the taco seasoning at the end.  When fully cooked, place beef on top of refried beans and bake at 350° for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and top with shredded cheese.  Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting.  Top with your favorite toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment