Saturday, October 20, 2012

Chicken Cordon Bleu

I had lots of time to play in the kitchen today while waiting for squash to bake for freezing and an elusive FedEx delivery man.  I wanted to make something that I never had tried to make and I had some chicken breasts, baby swiss and ham in the refrigerator.  And just for fun, I made a sauce to go on top of it too.




Chicken Cordon Bleu

3 chicken breasts
3 slices baby swiss cheese
3 slices ham
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 

Instead of pounding out the breasts and rolling up again, I just cut a slit in the breasts midway through being careful not to cut through to the other side.  Fill with the cheese and ham and secure with toothpicks.  In a small bowl, combine the flour and spices.  Dredge chicken and brown in olive oil in an oven safe frying pan.  Turn and brown the other side and then bake in the oven at 350° until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°.     

Sauce

1/2 cup buttermilk or regular milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp cornstarch
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a small saucepan, whisk together buttermilk and cornstarch.  Stir in Parmesan and seasoning and cook until it thickens.  Pour over chicken and serve.

I used buttermilk for a slight tangy flavor.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment