Sunday, June 5, 2011

It turned out to be not such a nice way to end the long weekend.

The food portion of the weekend was excellent it was the weather that appeared after my last blog that wasn't as pleasant.  About 9 p.m. that night, my area was hit by 90-100 mph winds that took down trees and took out the power.  Scary times in the basement and I was in the dark trying to see out the window while texting a friend on the west coast as to what was happening. 
Unfortunately, I was in an area in town that the electricity was out for 36 hours.  It was one of those things...you kept thinking "oh, the power will be back soon".  That just didn't happen.  I did get to spend some quality time with my sump pump though. 
I did restock the contents of my refrigerator and freezer somewhat but have been frustrated at every attempt to create something new this weekend.  I do have an easy recipe to share from my cookbook.

Very Berry Sauce
This is a great dessert or pancake topping,

1 cup blackberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup blueberries(fresh or frozen)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional but I like a little kick)
1/4 cup vodka

Mix all ingredients together in sauce pan,  Add sugar to taste,  Cook until reduced.


I am thankful that I still have a house without a tree on it, great neighbors, an understanding boss and a friend that doesn't realize that the texts during the storm helped me remain calm.  Or maybe he does.  I have lots of ideas for recipes and promise I'll be back up in top cooking form and with the right combination of grocery supplies within the next few days.

Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment