Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Braciola

One of my favorite cookbooks is Salt To Taste by Marco Canora.  Everything I've made has turned out to be wonderful and I highly recommend it to be added to everyone's cookbook collection.  I heard a knock on the door when I was in the kitchen the evening before Thanksgiving making my apple &  cranberry sauce.  It was UPS delivering a new cookbook ~ think Santa bringing a present.  This time it was Secrets of the Best Chefs by Adam Roberts, this too is recommended for your collection.  The first recipe I opened the book to was Braciola by none other than Chef Canora.  I made a version of this recipe ~ I didn't have any wine in the house and I used the crock pot but the end result looks similar.







Braciola

12 round steak sandwich sliced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced with the garlic
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
12 thin slices pancetta
1 1/2 cups red pasta sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Even though my round steak was cut to 1/4" slices, I pounded them (gently of course) to 1/8" thick.  In a small bowl, mix together cheeses and set aside.  On your cutting board, mince together parsley and garlic until it has a paste-like consistency.  Now it's time to layer the meat - place round steak down, apply a thin layer of the garlic/parsley mixture, sprinkle about a tablespoon of the cheese mixture and then top with the pancetta.  Roll up and I tied it with a cooking twine.  Brown in a couple tablespoons in a frying pan before transferring to the crock pot.  When all the steaks have browned, cover with your red sauce and cook over a medium heat for 4 hours.  

It's so tender that you will not need a knife to cut it.


No comments:

Post a Comment