Monday, June 25, 2012

White Mac & Cheese

An easy Monday dinner and I actually went meatless on the correct day. 





White Macaroni & Cheese

4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
2 cups Orecchiette, cooked and drained per package directions
1 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup pepper jack cheese, grated

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 dash garlic powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Melt 4 tbsp butter and stir in flour. Gradually add in milk, stirring constantly. When thickened, remove from heat and add in cheeses.

Put cooked macaroni and cheese sauce in a greased casserole dish.

In a small pan, melt 1 tbsp butter. Add in Panko bread crumbs and spices. Top macaroni mixture.

Servings: 8

Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, this sounds wonderful! I like the white cheeses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love orecchiette--what a great use for it. I almost made it through Monday meatless, then ate a burrito with a little meat in it last night. Drat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time using orecchiette - I'll be using it more often.

      Delete