Saturday, June 23, 2012

Grilled Calzones

Another beautiful day and it was perfect to grill.  I took an indoor baking item out to the grill which leaves my kitchen nice and cool but still smelling heavenly from the pizza sauce.



Crust ~
1 package dry yeast
1/4 tsp sugar
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together sugar, yeast and add warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Put flour and salt into a medium sized bowl. Add in water mixture and stir or mix by using your hands and turn out onto a floured flat surface. Knead for 3 minutes and divide into 3 pieces.  Allow to rise on an oiled baking sheet, covered with plastic wrap that was sprayed with olive oil.  When making the calzones, gently press down, place 2-3 tbsp pizza sauce in center and your favorite filling.  I used fresh mozzarella and turkey pepperoni.  Gently fold over and press edges together.




Pizza sauce ~

1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 medium onion finely chopped
1 tbsp extra light virgin olive oil
1 6 oz tomato paste
1 15 oz tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced
4 oz water
1 tbsp Italian seasonings ~ crush between your hands and sprinkle into the sauce
1 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt to taste

Heat olive oil in sauce pan and add in garlic and onion and cook until tender. Add in tomato paste and water. Add in tomatoes and spices. You can also mix in 1/4 cup of your favorite red wine. Let cook for about a half hour for all the spices to blend into the sauce.

Servings: 2

I froze the extra sauce for the next pizza or two since the calzones didn't require much of this batch. 

Grill on high (at least I used high because I had a thunderstorm that decided to move in).  Spray grill with olive oil and top and bottom of the calzones.  Bake to a golden brown.

8 comments:

  1. I prefer a calzone over pizza any day! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea!! We love getting outside and using our grill during the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I love about calzones is they don't require too much sauce. But your sauce sounds very good. Honey? What an interesting addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The honey helps take the sharp tang from the canned tomatoes. I use whenever I use them.

      Delete
    2. I was loving that you put honey in there, too!

      Delete
  4. Lovely recipe. Is it time to eat them yet?? Set a place for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE grilling pizza, grilling calzones sounds like the next best thing!!

    ReplyDelete