Monday, November 25, 2013

Apple Sausage Hotdish

I can't believe I did this...well, to be honest I can.  Two grocery store shopping trips and yes, I did get everything needed for Thanksgiving dinner but I failed to consider what to do for food for the days leading up to it.  A true Minnesota girl at heart knows what that means - hotdish time.  The only protein I found in my freezer was some apple sausages so here we are ~






Apple Sausage Hotdish

4 apple sausages - sliced into 1/4" disks
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
4 oz Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup peas
1 tbsp parsley 
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
8 oz Cavatappi pasta, cooked and drained
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated

In a saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour.  Gradually stir in the milk and chicken broth and stir occasionally until it thickens.  Stir in red pepper flakes, parsley and cheese.  Stir until cheese melts.   Pour into a greased baking dish over pasta, sausage and peas.  Mix together.   Bake for 30 minutes at 325°. Remove from oven and sprinkle Parmesan on top before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment