Sunday, October 13, 2013

Squash With A Savory Farro Topping

I love squash.  I've been buying it, baking it and storing it away in the freezer like a squirrel stocking up nuts for the winter.  It's my favorite vegetable and will over pay for it in the bleak winter months after my stash has been exhausted.  But I'm also basically a squash purist.  I like it with butter, salt and pepper.  My mom adds in brown sugar but I've never found it necessary.  So it was a major baby step for me to add a savory topping to today's baking.  I did freeze two containers before starting because I had some large Kabocha's and it was overloading my casserole dish.  I had picked up the Farro because it seemed like a fun new-to-me grain to try out.  It added a nice nutty texture.






Squash With A Savory Farro Topping

2 Kabocha squash or Green Hubbard, cut in half, seeds scooped out and baked face down on a aluminum foil lined pan with 1/4 cup water to steam the squash.  Bake at 350° until tender.  Let cool for 10 minutes and then scoop out into a casserole dish.  Add in 4 tbsp of butter, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.  Mix together.

Farro Topping

1/3 cup Farro cooked in 1 cup of water over a low boil for 20 minutes.  Drain and let cool

Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a saute pan.  Add in ~

cooked Farro
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp garlic powder

Lightly toast and top the squash.  Return to oven for 15 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment