Friday, November 23, 2012

Cran-Raspberry Rock Candy

I'm starting a countdown to Christmas today.  Expect to see posts on my holiday baking, crafts, decorating and gifts to make and give.  Last night as the snow was falling, I made rock candy.  I haven't made any since I was a teenager so it was a fun journey down memory lane and with the candy thermometer that my mom willingly sent packing with me.  The only difference between now and then is the many new flavors.   The next batch will be Chocolate Hazelnut.







Cran-Raspberry Rock Candy

2 cups sugar
2/3 cups light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1 tsp LorAnn Cran-Raspberry flavoring
2 drops red food coloring
1 tbsp powdered sugar

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and sift the powdered sugar evenly over it.  In a 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, light corn syrup and water.  Stir until sugar in combined and then do not stir again.  Heat to 300° and remove from heat.  Drop in food coloring and flavoring.  Stir and pour onto the cookie sheet.  Let cool and harden.  After an hour you can take a clean screwdriver and pound to crack candy down to small pieces.  

The powdered sugar will keep the candy pieces from sticking together.  Store in an air-tight container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment