Sunday, November 25, 2012

Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cupcakes

I have always loved cinnamon coffee cake.  My mom would make Aunt Jemima coffee cakes when we found them in the grocery store and I liked their little pans that they give you to bake them in.  This was my almost adult version of easy bake oven (which Santa never brought me) goodies.  It was a tossup to what was my favorite part ~ the streusel or squishing the egg and milk in the plastic bag to mix the dough.  Sometimes vacations would be a good time to check out a grocery store to see if they carried the line.  My mom found them in southern Minnesota and Yuma, Arizona.   Since I do not live in either of those areas, I had to create my own coffee cakes.





Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cupcakes

1/4 cup room temperature unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Streusel

1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt

In a small bowl, use a pastry blender to combine the cold butter, dark brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.  Mix until combined and then set aside.

In a medium sized bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar.  Mix in egg, vanilla and buttermilk.  Gradually mix in dry ingredients.  Scoop into large muffin cups.  If using a traditional ice cream scoop - it's 1 1/2 scoops for each cup.  For a regular sized cup, 3/4 of a scoop.  For large cups, bake at 350° for 22 minutes.  Regular size are probably around 15 minutes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment