Sunday, September 4, 2011

White, international pizza

It started out as a simple dinner.  A white pizza with a variety of cheeses using local products.  I did make the exception for garlic infused olive oil which came from Italy, which it should. 

Next came ricotta.  Made in Minnesota...we're off to a good start.

Fresh mozzarella and feta cheeses...made in Wisconsin.  They're a cheese state and proudly wear cheese hats at football games.  Makes sense to me, plus they're relatively close.

Parmesan wedge...another Minnesota product - score!

Now we come to the fresh oregano.  My plant is still in the infancy stage and if I took what I needed, it would be depleted.  I picked up some oregano at the grocery store and the front of the package says a city in Minnesota. 
Now here's the part that was frustrating.  I opened the package of oregano and noticed on the back side it says - product of Columbia.  What?  I had visions of little Scandinavian children in a Minnesota sweat shop packaging up Columbian oregano in little plastic packages with large mosquitoes hovering and waiting to suck their souls due corporate greed.

I know that the growing season is short with 9 months of winter and 2 months of flooding but still there are green houses.  I have seen them.  They do exist. 
/rant

Here's a picture of my pizza ~



Edited to add ~ the pizza recipe is simple


I spread out the dough to the edges of the pan and applied a thin coating of the garlic infused olive oil.  Toppings were 1 cup ricotta, 2 oz feta cheese, 1 fresh mozzarella ball, 1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese and 2 tbsp fresh oregano.  Baked at 350°F until a golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment