Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Chicken Broth & Homemade Noodles

It was insanely cold last weekend - 20's.  I had an organic chicken and vegetables to create my own broth.  I have containers frozen that will last me quite awhile (6 quarts worth) and I feel better about having my own verses a store bought one (even organic) since I can control the amount of salt per recipe that is added.  Plus it's so easy to make and I grew up on homemade broth.  I add in a little bit of salt and a few dashes of hot sauce for a perfect meal on a cold winters day.




Chicken Broth

1-3# chicken
6 quarts water
1 onion, cut in half
3 bay leaves
1# carrots, peeled
3 cloves garlic, smashed
3 stalks celery
1 tsp black peppercorns

Place all of the ingredients in a large kettle.  Bring to a simmer and keep at heat for 8 hours.  Remove the chicken and strain the rest of the liquid.  Cool down and place in the refrigerator.  After it has completely cooled (overnight), remove the excess fat.  Place the remainder into freezer sized containers.  If you keep some out, it will be good for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Homemade Noodles

Sift together -
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together in a small bowl -
1 large egg, beaten
3 tbsp milk

Pour egg mixture into the flour.  Mix together completely and place on a lightly floured surface.  Roll out the dough and let it stand for a half hour before cutting.  Cut into noodles to the size you want to use.  Spread out to dry on a lightly floured surface and let dry for at least an hour.  Drop into the broth and let cook for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment