Saturday, January 9, 2016

Toasted Farro

Occasionally a good salad is just what you need at the end of a long day.  I was going to use the remainder of my farro in another recipe I played with last weekend but it wasn't a good fit since I strayed away from my original plan.  I first thought about making homemade croutons for decided on using the farro for a topping.  If you're not familiar with farro, it's similar to barley and can be used in soups.  I've used it before as a topping to baked squash and mixed in with a corn and sweet potato dish.  





Toasted Farro

1/3 cup farro
1 cup water

Bring the water and farro to a soft boil, cover and allow to cook for 20 minutes.  Drain off any excess water and allow to dry. Add 1 tbsp butter to your pan and season with 1/8 tsp salt, 1/16 tsp freshly ground pepper and 1/16 tsp paprika.  Bring to a medium heat and toast the farro, stirring frequently.

I used as a salad topping also with grilled chicken, parmesan slivers and carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment