Monday, April 20, 2015

Raspberry Bacon Jam

So we've all seen it.  Some have even tried it.  I was one of those that had not.  I decided to pick up an extra pound of bacon this week to try my hand at it and since my favorite vinegar is a Raspberry Wine one...game on.  And it will be a good game time snack tonight while watching the Wild game.  The only thing I would change is to add a little bit more of the crushed red pepper flakes.  Sweet & heat always works for me.  I cooked it in a crock pot but you can easily make it in a pan on top of the stove.





Raspberry Bacon Jam

1 pound thick-sliced bacon
1/2 cup onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp Ancho Chili Pepper
1/3 cup Raspberry Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes


Slice bacon into 1/2" pieces (I just cut through the entire pound instead of individual slices).  Cook until the fat has been rendered off over medium heat.  Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.  I cooked in two batches.  Place in your crock pot with the dark brown sugar and Raspberry Wine vinegar.  Drain all except 2 tbsp. of bacon grease in your frying pan.  Cook the onions until translucent and then add in the minced garlic and cook for another minute.  Add into the crock pot.  Stir in the spices and allow to cook for a couple hours over medium heat.  You can leave this chunky or pulse a few times in your food processor.  Refrigerate the bacon jam.  You can heat it to serve or it tastes fine cold too.

No comments:

Post a Comment