Saturday, February 21, 2015

Buckwheat Pancakes

I've watched the temperature drop 12 degrees since I've been awake.  It's now at an even 0 outside.  I decided to make one of my comfort breakfasts that makes me think about my dad.  As a child, we would take trips to my grandparents farm in Sebeka, Minnesota.  It's a small town and might be hard to find on the map.  We'd get up early and start the trip which went through Wadena.  Wadena had a cafe where I was introduced to buckwheat pancakes.  Dad and I would order them every time we stopped there.  I recently came across some buckwheat flour so I made my own pancake mix this morning.




Buckwheat Pancakes

1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 dash cinnamon
1 tbsp melted butter
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups milk

Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl to combine.  Stir in melted butter, egg and milk.  Let mixture sit for 10 minutes before making pancakes.  Heat an oiled griddle and pour 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.  Lightly brown both sides.  I recommend serving with warmed maple syrup.

Makes 8 pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment