Saturday, November 15, 2014

Italian Cheese Flatbread

I wanted something to go along with my Tuscan Chicken & Corn chowder.  I decided to stay with the Italian flavors and make a flatbread.  It takes over a little over an hour and a half to make this so I started the yeast as I was starting my soup.  I added ground red pepper flakes to the bread but if you don't like heat, they can easily be left off.  





Italian Cheese Flatbread

1 cup warm water
1 pkg active dry yeast
2 tsp sugar

Mix together in a large glass measuring cup or glass bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.  

In a large bowl, combine the following ~

2 cups bread flour
1 tsp sea salt

After the 10 minutes, stir in the yeast mixture and 2 tbsp garlic olive oil in the flour with a wooden spoon.  Mix until the flour is all incorporated and the dough naturally forms a ball and pulls away from the sides.  Cover and let sit for a half hour or until the dough has doubled.  

Knead on a floured surface (it may take up to another 1/4 cup of bread flour) for 5 minutes.  Roll out the dough to the size of your greased baking sheet.  Lay down on the sheet and top with the following ~

1/4 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp ground crushed red pepper flakes

Bake at 350° for 22 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment