Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Cinnamon Squash Crostino

I'm always looking for ideas to use recipes that I've created in the past on my way to create new ones.  I was watching my favorite Food Network show a few weeks ago, Amy Thielen's Heartland Table when I watched her make a squash s'more that looked good.  Buttercup squash is my ultimate favorite vegetable and getting me to step outside my comfort zone of eating it with just butter and pepper is a rare occurrence.  I'm glad I took her wonderful idea and tweaked it slightly  The recipe that I got to use was my Cinnamon French Bread as the base.






Cinnamon Squash Crostino


2 cups baked buttercup squash
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cut the buttercup squash in half, remove the seeds (toast for snacks or feed wildlife).  Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and place face down.  Add 1/2 cup water in the pan and bake at 350° for about an hour.  It varies on actual squash size.  Remove the flesh from the skins and allow to cool slightly.  After about 10 minutes, measure out 2 cups of the squash, stir in the softened cream cheese, honey and cinnamon.  Spread on top of toasted cinnamon French bread, top with some miniature marshmallows and return to the oven until nice and toasty brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment