Sunday, February 24, 2013

Parmesan Corn

I'm determined not to waste any food that I buy.  I've been guilty of it in the past but I'm working hard at planning and creating meals with what I find in my refrigerator, freezer and pantry.  This is the result of making sure to use up a few items that I found searching.  It uses corn that I froze last summer, leftover Canadian bacon and some milk that is due to expire in 4 days.








Parmesan Corn

2 cups corn
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Canadian bacon, diced small
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Melt butter in a small saucepan.  Stir in flour until a paste forms.  Gradually stir in cream and allow to thicken over a medium heat, stirring frequently.  In a small greased pan, combine corn, Canadian bacon and Parmesan cheese.  Pour thickened cream mixture over corn and stir.  Bake for 40 minutes at 350°.  

  Here's the saying that I want to make a print of or cross-stitch for my kitchen.  I first saw this on the back cover of my Salt to Taste cookbook by Marco Canora.  It's from a U.S. Food Administration Poster ~ 1914-1918 and it's still relevant today.



1 comment:

  1. I hate wasting food as well! Thanks for the recipe, sounds great :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete