Monday, May 28, 2012

Chocolate Malted Milk Ball Ice Cream

This ice cream takes me back in time to when my mom would take out her mixer and make the family chocolate malts, although she didn't add in the malted milk balls, the taste of the ice cream is the same as I remember.



                    Chocolate Malted Milk Ball Ice Cream

3 cups heavy (whipping) cream
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
3/4  cup malted milk powder
3/4  cup sugar
 a pinch of salt
 2 tbsp dark cocoa powder
 6 large egg yolks lightly beaten
 1 1/2  cups malted milk balls, crushed


In a large saucepan, combine heavy cream, sugar, salt, malt powder, dark
cocoa powder and the vanilla bean and heat to a simmer.


Lightly beat egg yolks, gradually temper with chocolate mixture and then add into saucepan.
Heat until thickened, stirring frequently.  Remove the vanilla bean.


Cool mixture and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
 
Pour into ice cream maker and run per manufacturer's directions.

When done, add in crushed malted milk balls and freeze.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

8 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely delicious! I would love to try some. It is just what I feel like right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm your newest follower, I really enjoy your blog and I'd love to keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow! I'm following your blog also - it looks wonderful. :-)

      Delete
  3. This looks so amazing- I've been looking around for a great ice cream recipe and this looks perfect! Thanks Michele :) Following your next adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delicious! I can not wait to make this. I <3 malted milk balls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete