Monday, April 4, 2016

Lemon Berry Trifles

Berries were on sale.  They are so juicy and sweet they can be eaten alone but I decided to create a simple dessert with them (ok, I did snack on a few during the layering process).  I've always liked lemon with both berries that I used, so I went with a mild lemon sponge cake and a lemon mascarpone cream.




Lemon Berry Trifles

Cake -

3 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp water
1/2 tsp lemon zest

In a medium bowl, whip together the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.  In another medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, sugar and baking powder.  Add in the egg yolks, water and lemon zest.  Gradually fold in the egg whites.  Be careful not to over mix.  Line a 9" cake pan with greased wax paper.  Bake for 25 minutes at 350°.  Let cool before turning out and cutting into small cubes.

Lemon Cream

8 oz mascarpone, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice

Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.

Layer

Cake Cubes
Lemon Cream 
Berries - I used blackberries and raspberries



No comments:

Post a Comment