Friday, December 11, 2015

Cranberry Turkey Sausage

Don’t you hate it when you have leftover bits and pieces of food items?  It generally happens with chocolate chips and nuts in my home but I managed to end up with a small amount of cranberries in my freezer.  I  happened to find some ground turkey and ground pork in there also so the idea came to me about making sausage.  It turned out really well and the cranberries added a nice flavor and color.  I cooked the cranberries ahead of time since I was making patties.  I didn’t think the cranberries would have enough cooking time to soften if I just chopped them in the food processor.



 
Cranberry Turkey Sausage
¾ cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
2 tbsp water
Cook the berries until they pop and then let them cool down completely
1# ground turkey
½#  ground pork
cooled cranberries
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp rubbed sage
¼ tsp garlic powder

Completely mix together all of the ingredients so the spices are distributed evenly.  I recommend frying a small piece in a pan to make sure your spice level is to your liking.  Cook all the pieces taking care not to overcrowd your pan.  Drain on paper towels before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment