Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Tootsie Roll Bars

This is a family recipe that has been around a long, long time.  They are referred to as Jessie's bars on my father's side of the family and have been a favorite at many Minnesota family reunions.  I remember when I asked my mom to make sure she got the recipe and I put it in my first recipe card book.  At that time, I wasn't aware that they had another name until I saw them at a downtown grocery store/bakery/deli called Leeby's.  I miss that place.  It was a part of Fargo's history.






Tootsie Roll Bars

Crust and topping ~

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups quick oatmeal
2 1/2 cups flour

Cream butter and brown sugar.  Mix in eggs and vanilla.  Stir in oatmeal and rest of dry ingredients.  Pat out 2/3's of mixture in a greased jelly roll pan (10 x 15").  Add a lip along the edges to hold the filling.

Chocolate filling ~

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla

Melt together sweet condensed milk, chocolate chips and butter in a medium sauce pan.  Stir until smooth and add in vanilla.  Pour filling over the crust.  Dot the remaining 1/3 of crust on the top of the filling.  Bake for 25 minutes at 350°.

No comments:

Post a Comment