Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Cinnamon Apple Rice Pudding

Fall means apples and my tree was loaded this year.  I was thinking of new ways to use some and since I was in my comfort food mode...rice pudding has always been one of my favorites.  I decided to add a little more cinnamon to the mixture and substitute apples for the raisins.  It only takes one apple so there's more apple recipes that will be coming in the near future.






Cinnamon Apple Rice Pudding

3 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups whole milk, scalded (heated to 180°)
2 cups rice, cooked and cooled
1 apple, peeled and diced
1 tsp vanilla
1 dash nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon, divided

In a large greased casserole, combine eggs, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, sugar and salt.  Gradually add in scalded milk (tempering).  Stir in rice and raisins.  Sprinkle 1/4 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg on top.  Set the casserole in a large pan and pour in hot water until it's 1" deep.  Bake at 325° for 90 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment