Saturday, July 30, 2016

English Muffins



I put off making my own English muffins thinking it was going to be a time consuming recipe.  It wasn’t.  They were surprising easy to make and taste better than what you get in the store.  I’m embarrassed to say how long I’ve had the rings – let’s just say a few Presidents have been in office.  I do wish I would have bought an additional set so I could have baked all 8 at one time.



 
English Muffins

1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk, scalded
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour, divided
3 tbsp butter, softened


Add the yeast to the warm water and allow to sit for 10 minutes.  In the meantime, combine 2 cups of flour, sugar and salt in your mixer bowl.  Add in the yeast mixture and milk and beat using the dough hook until everything is incorporated.  Cover the bowl and leave in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours to rise.  After that time, beat in the softened butter and remaining 2 cups of flour.  Grease the muffins rings and place on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet.  Fill the rings one half full and allow to rise until doubled.  Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes.  

Makes 8 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment