Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Turkey Pot Pie

I had my first pot pie a couple of years ago and it was one that I made of how I imagined one would taste (but better since it was homemade). I had never been tempted to pick one up by looking at the pictures in the freezer area of the grocery store.  Well I've made a few since then from scratch with the exception of the pie crust.  I only make them with the bottom crust and then use my own "cover".  A friend once suggested using mashed potatoes as the topping and it does work really well.  I've been thinking about this turkey pot pie for awhile but it just didn't seem like a summer food so when the furnace came on, it was time.





Turkey Pot Pie

1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 tsp cornstarch
1 cup potatoes, diced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1/4 cup peas
1/2 cup green beans
1 tbsp celery flakes
1 cup turkey, diced
2 cups stuffing


Combine cold chicken broth, milk and cornstarch in a large saucepan.  Turn on medium heat and when it starts to thicken, add in vegetables.  Allow to thicken to your desired consistency and pour into the baked pie crust.  Top with stuffing and bake at 325° for 30 minutes.

I made my own stuffing using 1 cup diced of both sour dough bread and pumpernickle.  I sprinkled it with 2 tsp of sage and let sit overnight to dry out.  Before I put on top of the pot pie, I melted 2 tbsp of butter and cooked 1/4 cup onions until transparent and added in the bread cubes to toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment