Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Turkey Broth

The thermometer said 16 but the wind chill was much colder and my car needed gas.  My way to warm up after that was to heat a cup of turkey broth that I had made on the weekend (and froze a bunch for later use) with a couple of dashes of Frank's Hot Sauce in it.  There's been a lot of new studies conducted on the benefits of bone broths to your joints and other areas.  I grew up with my mom making pots of beef broth and it was time I started making some of my own.  I use it all the time for recipes but forgot how comforting having a cup or bowl was. It was the perfect time to make it because my work had given away turkeys for Thanksgiving.  I'm not a dark meat fan so it took a couple minutes to break down the turkey and the breast was heading to the oven later on in the day.  It was a 13 pound bird so it made lots of broth.





Turkey Broth

Approximately 6.5" turkey dark meat, including legs
9 gallons water
1 onion, skin removed and cut in quarters
4 carrots, rough chopped
2 stalks of celery, rough chopped
1 head of garlic, halved
2 bay leaves
1 - 15 oz can tomatoes, drained


Bring the turkey and water to almost a boil.  Skim off the foam and add in the remaining ingredients.  Turn down the heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 3 hours at least.  Strain the broth through a fine sieve.  Refrigerate and skim off any fat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment