Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Sausage Pockets

I'm always looking for something new to take for breakfast on a work day.  I'm not a cereal person since milk at an early hour just isn't as appealing as my can of Coke eye-opener.  So this means that I need something that is on the go that will usually be eaten at my desk.  

I had bought some Texas rolls bread dough and thought about the many things I could stuff those with to make a portable breakfast sandwich.  Bacon and cheese would be good and I will probably try that next without eggs since I'm not really a fan and I'm not sure how well they would freeze.  So I went with breakfast sausage in that lovely pepper gravy.  You do need to drain off most of the gravy or else it would seep out no matter how well you tried to seal the edge but there's enough there to keep it moist.  You could add a little bit of shredded cheddar on top of the sausage.  Wish I had thought of that at the time...





Sausage Rolls

20 Texas rolls bread dough, allowed to rise completely
1 pound turkey breakfast sausage, cooked
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

Brown sausage.  When cooked, stir in flour until the sausage is coated.  Gradually stir in milk.  Let thicken and season to taste.


Roll out bread dough with a rolling pin into round circles.  Place approximately 2 tbsp of sausage mix (if it's still runny, drain off excess gravy) in the center of the dough.  Pull up edges of the dough and crimp all edges.  Place on a greased baking sheet.  When all 20 are done, place in a pre-heated oven to 350° and bake for 10-12 minutes.  Brush tops with butter when done.

You can freeze these for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment