Monday, September 15, 2014

Creamy Turkey Vegetable Soup

The cold season has begun.  Understandable since the temperature outside drops to almost freezing and then up to the 70's.  I just returned from a trip home where my mom loaded me up with a lot of frozen squash so I had to do some creative rearranging of my freezers and in the process took out some turkey and corn that I had frozen for later use...later is now.  





Creamy Turkey Vegetable Soup

8 cups chicken stock
1 cup carrots, sliced thin (I set my mandoline at 1/16th)
2 tbsp celery flakes
1/3 cup rice (white or brown)
1/2 cup barley
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp parsley
1/4 tsp rolled sage
2 cups turkey, diced or small pieces
1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup milk
2 dashes hot sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Heat the chicken stock to a low simmer.  Add in carrots, celery flakes, bay leaf, parsley and sage.  Let cook for 20 minutes before adding in rice and barley.  Add in turkey and corn and cook for an additional 5 minutes before stirring in the milk and hot sauce.  Taste before adding in salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment